Monday, July 5, 2010

War. And Gelato.


So this week I am one of the chosen few who have the privilege of being on the kitchen crew. Everyone does it for one week while we are here, and I am assigned this week! It's not bad. Just bringing food out for breakfast and dinner and helping clean up afterwards. The bad part is that I have to be there at 4:30 for dinner and stay until about 7:00 cleaning up! That doesn't leave much time for play when I don't get out of class until 1:00 PM! However, I usually find something to do, thanks to my roomie, Laura, who is great at planning our days!
Today we went to the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth. It was very interesting. One of the classes I am taking is a World War I class, so this was interseting to witness. Also, my great grandfather on my mother's side fought in WWI in France, living in the trenches and fighting with bayonetts! If you know anything about WWI, it doesn't get more risky than that. I have felt such respect for him as I have learned about what they went through. They had display about what it was like in the trenches. It even smelled awful. But I could only imagine what it was really like adding on the mud and even worse smells of B.O., death, rats, and all the other awful things they went through.
I have three papers due by Saturday, so I haven't been going on great day long adventures like I wish I could. So when we came home we all went into the library to work on homework. Later, we went to this cute gelato place around the corner and chatted. I am so lucky I have the best roommates ever! I cry everyday...from laughter! It is so much fun being here!

4 comments:

Brittany said...

i love when you cry. and i love eating gelato when you cry. that is especially fun.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I am so behind on reading your blog! I can't miss one day or I am behind. But now I know I need to read it everyday. All I can say is I am inspired by you. I totally want to go study abroad now. It looks so fun.

Dave said...

I think I you should just throw all the essays out the window and go on your all day adventures like you want to

laura said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. To quote Brittany: war in general, pita in restaurants, and professors. Love you Dorothy.