Saturday, July 3, 2010

Love Never Dies.

Today, like most days in London, was awesome!

First of all, I slept in. Is there a better way to begin a day than that? It was marvelous. Then we cleaned up around the room. PS - here is our room! We call it, "the penthouse" because it is up on the top floor (83 steps to be exact).

My roommates are so happy I put this up, I'm sure.


Next we went off to Leicester Square to figure out what show we wanted to see today. I will tell you what we ended up doing in a minute. After that, we wandered over to Camden Market. Apparently there is some good stuff there...but we didn't really find it. As my roommate, Niki, says, "I felt like I was in Tiajuana!"


Then, after leaving Camden Market, we headed over to the British Museum to see the Parthenon Frieze for a class. It is so cool to see all these things, and it makes me wonder what has happened to them to damage them.



Also, in the British Museum was the Rosetta Stone! How cool is that!?! We found it was nearby where we were, so we went to find it. We couldn't find it after searching and searching. Come to find out we had been passing right by it! I have no clue how we missed it right in the center of the room surrounded by people! It was way cool to see too. The picture isn't so good, because the glass glared.


After the British Museum, we went over to the British Library to see some old Bible manuscripts for another class I am taking. We didn't have much time to spend there, but I will for sure be going back! It was so crazy all the things I saw. I saw original manuscripts and other things from...
Jane Eyre manuscript
Jane Austen manuscripts
Jane Austen's writing desk
Wordsworth Poetry manuscripts
Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway manuscripts
Handel's Messiah manuscripts
Oscar Wilde's manuscript
Beethoven's music
Beethoven's tuning fork
Gutenburg Bibles
Eadui Salter from Canterbury (from the 11th century!)

After we left the British Library we met up with a bunch of girls for dinner before we all went to our shows. Then I went and saw the brand new Phantom sequel by Andrew Lloyd Weber called, "Love Never Dies." It just barely opened a few months ago, and is only showing in London. It was seriously amazing. I started crying at the end of it. If you know me at all, you know that I do not cry in movies/plays. And this made me cry. It was so good. I wish I could say what happens, but I can't. It would ruin it, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you!


4 comments:

jane sorensen said...

Okay, I have to see it!

jane sorensen said...

Good thing the old time guys didn't have such a hard time finding the Rosetta Stone! Seriously, Cantebury, Wimbledon, a bunch of museums ("some old bible"), Eclipse (seen it, already), and the new Andrew Lloyd Webber. So how do you top that week? Maybe tea with the Queen? Or a date with Harry (not Potter but Prince). Or maybe (gasp)some studying.
Love, Daddy

Jay said...

Ali! I saw your beautiful mother at church today and she said I should post a comment! Haha, I think that you should stop having so much fun over there in London because it is making me really jealous and we're not supposed to covet our neighbors life experiences (or something like that). I hope you continue to have so much fun! I miss you back here in C-ville, but I will try to hang on until you return to me :)

Brittany said...

inappropriate photograph.