Sunday, July 4, 2010

Catford Ward, Wandsworth Stake

Today was my first day at my ward I will be attending for the rest of my stay here in London. I am going to the Catford Ward in the Wandsworth London Stake. I go to church in the cutest town ever; it's called Blackheath. Apparently the houses are reeeally expesive (about 4 to 5 million pounds!) It was the kind of community a person could only dream of living in!


The ward is wonderful. They were all so happy to see us there, and everyone greeted us saying, "Oh! Are you the BYU students!?!" It made me feel so welcome! I have a calling in the primary as a primary assistant. For anyone who has ever complained about working in primary, you will be grateful when I tell you about our primary. There is one lady in charge of pretty much ALL of the primary. She taught the lesson, then did sharing time, and singing time! Not only that, she has a 2 week old baby! She took one week off and is already back! AND not only that, her husband is the bishop! I was so impressed, and so happy that I can be there to help out in anyway I can, even if it's just keeping kids quiet and holding the baby. Next week my friend Maegan and I will be teaching the younger kids their lesson. I also will be assigned a time to speak in Sacrament meeting as well.

The people there amazed me so much. There were people from all over the world and all walks of life in this one ward, and I could just tell how much they love and depend upon one another. I somewhat feel that since I am from Salt Lake where the church is centered, they look up to me. But it really is the complete opposite. These people were so strong and had some much love and I look up to them so much!


Other than going to church, I came home and napped, then helped make dinner (lasagna, bread, salad), conducted the fireside, and chatted with friends. Our fireside was about sacred spaces throughout Christian history and was really interesting! We learned about finding the different parts of a cathedral and learning what they were for!

Sorry no pictures today! Don't worry, I will be sure to take some one Sunday, and be sure to take some of the centre where I live too!

3 comments:

jane sorensen said...

Your ward sounds really nice. I would love to be able to go there. Um, Ali, could you just slow down a tad and do just a little more proofreading? (you know I am mentally scoring everything you write!) (and you are going to be a school teacher after all!) Love ya!!!

jane sorensen said...

I just reread it and there really aren't that many errors. Sorry.

Steve Edwards said...

It was great to have you and your friends in our ward Alison and thanks for writing about us so nicely. It really is strengthening to have the BYU students attending and helping out in the ward.