Monday, July 19, 2010

Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

Tonight was one of my most fun nights in London yet!  We all went to a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre.  This is a theatre they have rebuilt to be exactly like the one that Shakespeare's plays would have been originally performed at.  It was so cool.  There are three levels of seats and then an open area by the stage for people to just go and stand.  The seats were where the higher classes would sit, and the ground was where the peasants could come and stand.  We were standing on concrete, but I'm guessing back then they were standing on something more along the lines of dirt...

We saw Comedy of Errors.  It was h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!  It starts out with a man who is going to be executed because he can't pay off a debt.  He is telling the judge his story about how he was married and had two sons.  The two sons were completely identical looking.  Also, he told the judge that he had bought twin boys, also identical, to serve the sons.  The sons were separated, each with one of the twin boys.  The story is about what happens when the two sons along with their servants happen to be in the same town at the same time.  It was so funny!  The actors were excellent!  My favorite aspect of it was that they didn't hide that it was a play.  One actor would play multiple parts, and they would have to switch between them while on stage, and it was so funny.  Shakespeare has never been better for me!

Walking across the Thames to go to the show

Outside of the Globe



Yes, I stood for the entire show.  It wasn't that bad, I think that's because I built it up to be so bad in my mind before.

2 comments:

jane sorensen said...

Sounds so fun, Ali. Let's sit when we go though okay?

Unknown said...

Miss Ali, I LOVE YOUR CLOTHES! All of them, all the time. I just adore you to pieces. Looks like your having tons of fun!