Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Portsmouth, Brighton, and Monk's House

So, today was our very last day trip with our whole group! *tear*  Our time together is quickly winding down.  We only have about a week and a half left!  Everyone will be leaving, but I will be staying here for a couple weeks with my mom!

For our day trip, we began at Portsmouth.  This is a harbor on the coast of England that houses a ship named Victory.  The Victory is a ship built in the 18th century that you can tour!  It was really neat, and really crazy to see how these sailors lived.


After leaving the ship, we went and looked through some cute little outlets near by.  My favorite one:  the Cadbury chocolate factory.  That's right.  A whole store of discounted Cadbury chocolate.  It was fabulous.


Now that is what I call a bar of chocolate!


We then left Portsmouth and went for a very short stop at Brighton while we were on our way to Monk's House.  We literally had just enough time to stop and look at the pier a little, take some pictures, and use the restroom of course!



We then went to Monk's House, which has no relation to monks whatsoever.  It is house owned by Virginia Woolf, and is a place were the Bloomsbury group would get together.  We have been studying the Bloomsbury group in my WWI and Modernism class, so it was really neat to be able to go and visit the places where they were.  Virginia Woolf committed suicide in this place, and her ashes were scattered here as well.  It was a neat house with beautiful gardens, as all English houses seem to have!





When we got off of our coach we had to take a picture with our great coach driver, Tony, who always had plenty of information about everywhere we drove to fill many books!


3 comments:

Hillary said...

Ahhhh Tony...I definitely won't miss his commentary on the bus when I'm trying to sleep.

and I'm so glad your camera came today!

jane sorensen said...

I notice your bag of Cadbury chocolate--I guess you're feeling better today! I hope your girls aren't ruining all that expensive orthodontic work!

laura said...

really?