Saturday, August 7, 2010

Our Last Saturday Celebration

Today was our last Saturday together in London before everyone heads home.  So of course we had to go big!  But not too big because our bank accounts can't handle too much these days!

We started out the morning by going to Portobello Market.  This is the market that is in the movie Notting Hill, and it is VERY popular.  So if you are planning on going, go right at 9 AM when it opens so that you can beat some of the crowds.  They have a lot of fun antiques, food, music, and more!


We got some yummy fresh bruschetta to share on Portobello


Then we came back to the centre, dropped off our purchases, and headed out to do a walk we had assigned from a class.  We walked the path that Virginia Woolf described in her book, Mrs. Dalloway, which goes from Picadilly Circus down Bond Street.  This street rocks my socks!  Sooo many amazing stores!  We first stopped at Hatchard's Bookstore.  This is a very famous store and has been there since 1797!

Next, we went to Fortnum & Mason, which is a big time grocery store, and is where the Queen likes to shop!  It was really pretty and had red carpet all throughout the whole thing!  And this has been there since 1707!  (about 70 years older than my entire country...) 



Wanna eat some mice?



We then walked up and down the rest of the street, stopped in Tiffany's, Cartier, Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuiton, Burberry - you know, just my regular shopping spots!

Later tonight, we went to dinner at an Indian restaurant called Masala Zone.  It was sooo delicious.  We ordered a dish for each of us where we got to pick a meat (chicken, lamb, veggie, etc) and then pick the curry to go with it, and then it came with some nan-type break, veggies, and different little sauces and things.  It tasted divine!


Then we walked around our little neighborhood for a while, and went and got gelato at a yummy place called Gelato Mio.  I got mint chocolate chip, which was flavored with real mint leaves!
But on our way there, I slipped while stepping over a puddle and ended up stepping INTO the puddle and got my yellow Toms all muddy!

Lastly, we came back home to the centre, and I wrote this blog!  London is such a fabulous city, and I am going to miss these fun Saturdays I have to go out and be in the city with my great friends I have made!  

4 comments:

Hillary said...

my goodness don't I look haggard.

jane sorensen said...

What beautiful young ladies--I hope that you will cherish these friendships and keep in touch!

Brittany said...

we are beautiful young ladies. cherish me for sure. and keep in touch--that won't be hard because i'll come sit in your apartment everyday.

Unknown said...

Ali. Your eyes. GORGEOUS. period.